Friday, January 11, 2008

On the road again

In January the adult literacy classes start. We have done training for the literacy class teachers all fall, now it is time for them to gather their students and begin teaching them to read and write in a local language. The literacy center supplies all the materials needed for the class, chalkboard, small table and stool for the teacher, books, notebooks, pencils and even a gas lamp for those classes that meet at night. Before the classes can start we must deliver all the materials to the villages. That is what I have been doing for the last few days.

We pack a box of books and supplies for each village, load the tables, stool and blackboards on top of the car and away we go.




Along the way, we see many sights that we take for granted, but I was thinking of you all as we traveled and took some pictures of some of the roads. I know that you might not think of these as roads, but most of the roads that I travel from village to village look a lot like this. Actually, these are good roads.







Check out this road that threads the needle between two baobab trees. This particular village is easily recognizable because of this little grove of baobab trees.





I must admit that this bridge gives me a small case of the heebie-jeebies whenever I cross it, but it was fun today to stop and take pictures of the birds on the bridge. My employees are starting to get used to me stopping the car to take pictures. I tell them that I want people in America to learn what Africa is like. They like that idea and are starting to point out things for me to take pictures of .



Look at this gorgeous shot of the bird in flight. WOW! I love my new camera!

As most of you know, I struggle with fatigue as a result of what is known as chronic Lyme disease or post-Lyme syndrome. Some days are worse than others, but I have learned to judge how much energy I have for the day and plan how to spend it. Some days I know that I will have to be careful because I'm starting on an empty tank. On those days, I don't waste my precious strength on something that someone else can do. That's how I started the day when I had to deliver materials, so I hired a driver to take us around to the villages.


As you can see, my driver has a little trouble seeing over the steering wheel, but he has a buddy backing him up.

Now how does that air-conditioning work again?


Seriously, I really did hire a driver for the day. Actually, I borrowed him from the clinic. Tijan is a fun guy and a great help on days like this. Maybe my small drivers will be able to help out in a few years (after they can see over the steering wheel).



4 comments:

amanda said...

oh but the small drivers were so cute! I bet you have a small audience watch you unload all the goods for the classes. How often do you "check" on the villages once the classes start?

darlene said...

Thanks for the pictures. we here in Mexico pray for the Gambia, because of Suellen, but now will pray for the center too.

take care

Chelsie said...

Hello Aunt Jo!! Thanks for posting on my blog :-) I am hoping to do it more often once I go. I am a terrible journaler, but I know this is going to be an experience that I will never want to forget. I have heard about you and Ben seems to be real proud of you and your work whenever he mentions you. Many Blessings,
Chelsie

Hannatu said...

Oh! I love the photo of the little driver!! Also the baobab grove....my favorite African tree!