Sunday, October 28, 2007

My husband

Some of you are probably saying, "What ?!", but it's true. I have a husband. Okay, he's only 2 years old and is really my great-grandson. I hear your voices again, "What?! How can you have great-grandchildren?" It's very simple. When I arrived in The Gambia 14 years ago, I was named after the matriarch of our village, Aji Suun Kebbeh. In bearing her name, I also claim all of her relationships. Her children call me mother, her grand-children call me grandmother etc. Thus, most of the village calls me mother, grandmother, aunt etc. Are you with me so far? When it comes to male grandchildren, however, particularly little ones, grandmothers always call their grandsons "husband".
So let me introduce you to my husband. Mohammeh is staying with his grandparents who own the place we rent for the Literacy Center. His mom just had twins, so he's living with grandma for a while.

Every day he greets me as I arrive. He's just learning to talk, so his greeting is usually a bit garbled. His grandmother is always telling him to greet his wife (meaning me). The other day as I arrived, I heard this little voice coming from inside the house, "Jabar, jabar" (wife,wife). I almost fell on the ground laughing. I'd never heard a kid do that spontaneously before.
As you can see, he was having a wardrobe problem that completely distracted him.

3 comments:

Suellen Black said...

Yes, mother, your husband, my father, is adorable.

amanda said...

how funny!

Dusty Penguin said...

What a cutie. You could really confuse everyone by telling them that you don't call your real husband husband, but uncle instead!

And if we could smell through the internet, those reading about the termites would smell the nauseating, head-ache causing smell of creosote! We used to have Tijan check our house for termites whenever we were gone.