Monday, October 15, 2007

I'm back

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I logged on one day ready to post a deep and profound blog only to find that I couldn't access my own blog site. Obviously that problem has been mysteriously solved, but alas, the deep and profound thoughts I had for you are now lost in brain space. So, don't get your hopes up for this blog.

We just finished the month of Ramadan, the Muslim fasting month. Yippee, hurray! I don't fast during the month, but it is painful for me as well. People are not eating or drinking from sunrise to sunset (approximately 6 am to 7 pm this time of year). At sundown, however, the eating and drinking begin. They "have to" break their fast with a hot drink and bread, then they drink cold water (ice sellers make a killing during this month since most people don't have refrigeration), then they eat a meal. Around midnight, they eat again and some get up to eat breakfast at 5am. They spent lots of money (that they don't have) on food and drink during this month of fasting. Of course, during the day, since people are fasting, everyone droops around and spits. They aren't supposed to swallow their saliva during the fast, so people spit constantly during Ramadan.

During the month, I get lots of requests for help with food, cold water and clothes for the feast day that ends the month. About a half hour before sunset, the water seekers come bearing their containers. I keep about 12 liters of water in the frig and give it until its gone. I didn't have as many water seekers this year, so many days I had water left over for the next day. It's nice to have that over with for another year.

Well, I guess that's all I have to say for today. I'll try to post again soon.

4 comments:

Suellen Black said...

Hey Joanne, when you write a comment and you don;t get it posted, some of it might have been saved. On the page that you write the blog, under the dialogue box is Return to list of posts. I have found things saved in there in the past. Good to have you back in the blog mode.

Hannatu said...

My feelings exactly! So glad it's over. Question: are you able to post from Ndugu Kebbe or do you have to do it in Banjul?

amanda said...

glad you are back on blogger, Joanne. I've been checking on you...

Aji said...

I can post right from my house as long as my phone is working. If the phone goes out, it might not work for months. Right, Suellen?