Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Home from vacation

Just a quick post to let you know that I am back from vacation. I spend my vacation time just relaxing at our ABWE guesthouse here in The Gambia. It's nice to spend some time in the air-conditioning and not have people at the door constantly. My co-workers did have to run interference for me some as things came up with employees in my absence. When Deb is here, we don't usually take vacation at the same time so that one of us is always available. With the literacy ministry closed for the summer you would think that nothing would be happening, but there's always something.

One tragic event shocked me as one of my employees called to notify me of the sudden death of one of the literacy facilitators. The young man was a teacher at the primary school in our village and he had just finished teaching the first year literacy class in his village. His village was our first class in Serer and he did an excellent job of teaching the class. He had over 30 students and all but 2 passed the exam with over 60%. His death was very sudden. It sounds like it could have been an anerysm since he complained of a severe headache and was dead within an hour of arriving at the hospital. Death isn't reserved for the elderly. My other employees may find this a wake-up call as this young man was younger than most of them and very well liked and respected. He leaves behind a wife and 2 small children.

2 comments:

Hannatu said...

My condolences to you, Joanne. We know how quickly death claims souls in Africa. I know malaria can also take a life that quickly if it is cerebral. God be with you as you grieve.

amanda said...

Hey Joanne...
Glad you were able to relax with the a.c. Do they still have electricity problems in the capital, or does the air stay on all the time with no surprises now?

I am sorry for your loss. God be with you as you move forward...