Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Another day, another story

I killed a black mamba today. Granted it was only a baby one, but still... where there's a baby mamba there's a mama mamba. Today my cat decided that a baby snake was fun to play with, so when I was walking out my door, there she was toying with the snake just a couple yards away from the door. A friend who was with me warned me that this was a poisonous snake. So what's a girl to do? Scream, faint or pick up a rock? I threw a rock on it (which only made it mad) and then put a bigger rock on it so it couldn't get away. Then I got my shovel and chopped it's head off. The Gambian ladies who were cheering me on weren't satisfied that it was dead until I bashed its head in too. Take my word for it. That snake is really dead. I just hope mama mamba doesn't come looking for her baby's killer.

We know that there is a big snake that regularly tours our compound and the watchmen are sure that it's a black mamba. They haven't been able to find where it lives, but they have followed a large snake track all around the compound. My flashlight is my best friend when I have to leave my house at night. Hmmm, maybe I should have two best friends, my flashlight and my shovel.

2 comments:

amanda said...

Congrats Joanne...not only on killing a snake, but on starting a blog!!! I look forward to checking in often, I love the stories from the Gambia! Remember me? Soxna Jallo AKA Amanda!

Dusty Penguin said...

Hey is this the short-term teacher Amanda? How are you doing? What are you up to these days? Joanne, I doubt you'll ever have a day without a story to tell! I probably won't comment every time, but I'll definitely be a regular reader.
Natalie